What is OHSAS 18001?
The OHSAS 18001 standard (may also be mistakenly referred to as ISO 18001) is internationally accepted as a method of assessing and auditing occupational health and safety management systems. Developed by leading trade and international standards bodies, it provides a framework for organisations to instigate proper and effective management of health & safety in the workplace.
By having a clearly defined management system in place to identify and control health and safety risks, organisations are able to minimise risks to their workforce and visitors or external contractors on their premises. The standard will enable organisations to put in place processes for continually reviewing and improving occupational health and safety.
What are the benefits of BS OHSAS 18001?
- Create the best possible working conditions across your organization
- Identify hazards and put in place controls to manage them
- Reduce workplace accidents and illness to cut related costs and downtime
- Engage and motivate staff with better, safer working conditions
- Demonstrate compliance to customers and suppliers
- Reduction in the number of accidents
- Less absenteeism
- Reduction in downtime and associated cost
- Lower Insurance premiums
- Higher productivity
- Improved business performance.
- Improved management of health and safety risks
- Improved reputation
- Improved compliance with legislation
- Lower risks of prosecution and fines
- Integration with existing management systems
- Reduction in the costs associated with accident at work
- Enhanced status and competitive advantage